The Stoneleaf

Observations from a yet another vantage point. About anything, that Matters!

Name:
Location: India

I am what I am, thats what I am!
Dreamer, Maverick, Socially Unacceptable!!

I...
I am the Ego, the ego supreme
I am Somnus, source of your dreams
I am the Sound, when silence screams
I am Everything, all that has been

Friday, January 13, 2006

Ego Piercing...

I was talking to an online friend (though she insists on us being called stranger). And someway, somehow, the conversation came to Body Piercings. Now i know it is my first post in this blog for this year, and an online discussion is not quite the thing to write about. But as usual, this is not about the conversation, it is about the prevalence of piercings every where i see.

Delhi is a happening place. Though the mumbaikars, may contest this idea; and bagloreans would never agree. But the fact remains that Delhi is a happening place when it comes to picking up the fads, and continuing them to such an extent that one would be forced to think that they existed forever.

And today it is about Piercings, and that too body piercings for the time being. The issue that popped in my mind is why do people pierce their body parts? I know nose and ear piercings have had to do with tradition and cultural beliefs. But you can also see a pierced eyebrow, a pierced lower lip, a pierced tongue, a pierced navel. And many other piercings that not everyone can even look at.

I was told that it hurts a lot. And that for a tongue pierce you can not eat solid food for many many days, and it hurts even while talking, then why do people do it?

It may be a sexual fetish, an accessory for lust. The taboo piercings may serve a purpose, anatomical studies will conclude that they can, but that alone can not explain the extent to what people can go for their piercings. I think it is about making a visual statement. Just like rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength' maybe piercing is a symbol of machismo. Of the body's ability to endure pain. The insignia of the yang.

More than that, i think it is about ego piercing. A vent to let out the ego. A chance to assert the otherwise battered souls.

But it may also be that people are just being blind, and accepting fads for fashion. Everything said and done, piercing must hurt. And perhaps, that is the price to pay for the extended 15 minutes of fame.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ravali said...

what! there isn't a way i can commetn on your other blog - aksar. anyways, i just found out the angel of death is gabriel according to the bible i think. and its so cool, the angel is a guy but he looks liek a woman. haha doesn't that say somethign about death. GOD is a guy and the death is man who looks like a woman. and then spring is a young woman adn winter is an old old man. and the new year is always a baby boy. haha
Now are you wondering what the hell am i talking aobut and why i am telling you all this. well i don't know!!! but hey at the end of all this doesn't it make you feel lucky that you are a fat guy with no money. well i do. good luck with work

January 14, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

@Ravali: Just refresh the page for aksar, sometimes the comment box doesnt load itself. Usually corrects on refreshing.

And some research that you did :)

January 16, 2006 12:34 AM  
Blogger death said...

Hey Aakash, You've written your heart out here. Yes, i completely agree with A chance to assert the otherwise battered souls

So true naa!! people going haywire over such frivolous activities without knowing why. I am scared of our future buddy. The kind of things that are cool these days, once destroyed the west in the 80's

Lets just sit down and pray :)

January 16, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

@Death: Amen to that!

January 16, 2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

@Kiran: Economics of values!

January 17, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Ravali said...

eh?

January 18, 2006 2:08 AM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

@ravali: eh ehh!

January 18, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Ravali said...

don't you eh me!!!

January 19, 2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

January 20, 2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

@Ravali: O Ohh!

@Lo: :)

January 21, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Flying Machine said...

I would agree with what u saying here. Otherwise there is no reason why anybody should inflict such pain on self. One really needs to have masochist tendencies to get the body pierced.

February 05, 2006 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, read many of yr posts.....
Brillinat i should say....

The one which really moved me is "Ears Tight Shut" ....for it brought tears to my eyes....

I 've often noticed the less privileged by the road side & 've seen many a touching.....sad....miserable....scenes...& my heart goes out to them ..esp when i see kids ....i think of my own kids......my heart wells up....

U have brilliantly written in down...Kudos :))

February 25, 2006 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God !! this is the first post at this blog that i really liked and must say...kaafi achcha likha hai bey

March 01, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Anki said...

umm...well u r partially correct...why did i pay a complete stranger a lot of cash to get pain inflicted on my tongue...voluntarily..i think its about an individuals expression of nothingness....a handful of people actually know that there is a piece of metal stuck in me...but what is so shocking or repulsive about piercings?
I think a piercing deserves absolutely no attention...its mine to keep and mine to enjoy and mine to hate

November 06, 2006 4:07 PM  
Blogger My Unfinished Life said...

Piercings…I never liked having those….so wont comment on why people do it..coz I have no clue
But yeah..about undergoing pain… I can tell you why I like having tattoos which also includes undergoing pain..and that’s prolonged pain…the bigger the tattoos, the more and longer the pain..i have images in my mind which are so string that I want to on my physical self…so I like goin under the needle….it’s a small price to pay for having my mental and physical self aligned …and the pain for me is a reminder of my efforts…to have a customized physical self…
AND on a bigger note ….Pain is nice sometimes…and if one can overcome pain ..then one can overcome fear..and I don’t mean small time everyday fears (of cockroaches, snakes,etc etc)….but fear of unknown….of death ..of getting hurt physically or emotionally…fear of seeing ur best friend blown off to pieces in front of your eyes…..i can go on and on with the list ..but will stop here…..
and ALSO some people enjoy experiencing physical pain to a certain extent… including me..

August 07, 2007 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I am so happy I found your blog, I really found you by
error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and
would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love
the theme/design), I don't have time to browse it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great job.
my webpage - colonias

February 04, 2013 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home