The Stoneleaf

Observations from a yet another vantage point. About anything, that Matters!

Name:
Location: India

I am what I am, thats what I am!
Dreamer, Maverick, Socially Unacceptable!!

I...
I am the Ego, the ego supreme
I am Somnus, source of your dreams
I am the Sound, when silence screams
I am Everything, all that has been

Friday, September 09, 2005

Where the Mind is Without Fear...

These lines by Tagore, have always inspired awe in me. I was in sixth standard, or maybe seventh; when i read this poem for the first time, in my english textbook, the 'Gulmohar Graded English Reader', and i remember trying to hum it in a weird crude tune (I always have had this mad streak in me). But nostalgia apart, this poem still leaves a longing in my heart, for a country that could be just that. And the belief that India does possess the mortar to be this and more, is more or less subdued by the missing gumption.

In the movie Swades, when Mohan Bhargaw (SRK), claims at the public meeting that the slogan Mera Bharat Mahaan, is merely lip service. he goes on to say in the face of shocked villagers that we are not a great country, but we do possess the fibre for greatness. I wonder how many people would have given second thoughts to those pregnant words.

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit

It was sitting in Trade Logistics lecture and in the gray stupor that generally wraps me in the monologous lectures; i heard the professor tell us that we are a nation capable of producing a million Vivekanands, but alas to recognise them as Vivekanands, we require the approval of the US of A.

I am not preaching patriotism, neither is this a critique of neo imperialism. But yes, think of Yoga, and Vaastu, Organic Farming (our poor farmers have been using the dung fertilizers since ages) et al; did they not get popular post their re-import from the distant shores?

We talk about the 'Head held high'. We write odes singing 'Saare jahaan se achcha'. We shout about the superior culture and values, and yet at the drop of a dollar (no devaluation here) all the facades of granite crumble like cheap plaster of paris.

The problem is not about the belief in 'them'. It is more of a lack of conviction in 'us'. Its about seeing and not believing, till it is aired on CNN. And its about cursing Naipaul, for he criticizes India and then paying 500 Rs. to the line-man, so that the telephone keeps working.

Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father,
Let my country awake.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno if I should comment on this :) I'm particularly not very patriotic. Belong more to the natural world where there are no boundaries :)

L~

September 10, 2005 12:00 AM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

And like i said L~ its not about being patriotic. Its about saying believing abd being in coherence.
And then patriotism is not painting your face with orange white and green; and throwing water bottles when the team is losing.
It is more about preserving what you are, and upholding your ideals.
Isnt it?

September 10, 2005 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

righto buddy :)

L~

September 10, 2005 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing wave of thoughts mate.. check out a sort of a tribute to this post at my place..

September 11, 2005 8:30 AM  
Blogger AakASH!!! said...

Heyy Shreyas! Thanx mate. I did chk out your tribute, which eaily surpasses my standards, e1 before i came in here and read you comment.
Great work there, and i say Do Come Back...

September 11, 2005 2:27 PM  
Blogger Flying Machine said...

Amen

September 12, 2005 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very well written post and the thoughts expressed, really makes you think.
If all of us start thinking this way and do something about our complacence and "chalta hai" attitude, we could be "mahaan" in the true sense :)

September 12, 2005 11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there.. i came across ur blog while randomly searching for info about this poem. I am an undergard from india studyin in USA and i have a poetry presentation lined up for which i have chosen this poem. Do u mind if i use some of your ideas?

April 03, 2007 7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home